Enlarge the map

Engels Street


The street was initially called Rozhdestvenska (Christmas). The first houses appeared here as early as in the late 17th century, but the major construction did not start until the beginning of the 1880s when the street became an important thoroughfare running to the market. In the early 20th century, commercial buildings of a new type — factories — were built along the street, thus forming the continuation of the banking ‘City’ in Konstytutsii Square.

One of the most impressive examples of the Constructive Modern of Chicago school is a warehouse with shopping space (6, Engels St.) designed by A. Rzhepyshevsky in 1910. It is a concrete and frame construction with window walls.

The building of Zilberman & Sons Factory (9, Engels St.; 1914) was designed by M. Kompaniyets in the unusual for Kharkiv Gothic style. Now it houses ‘Aelita’ company which manufactures women’s clothes.

17, Engels Street is a former factory of Kulakovsky (now the House of Models). The building is designed in the best tradition of the Decorative Modern with the flowing lines of cornices, big window openings and majolica decorations.

One of the departments of Kharkiv National Technical University of Agriculture is also located in a building of a former factory (19, Engels St., 1910). Together with the former Merchant Bank and Astoria Hotel in Rosa Luxemburg Square, this building is a prime example of the Northern Modern. Both buildings were designed by architects N. Vasiliev and A. Rzhepyshevsky.

The magnificent Annunciation Cathedral is situated on the opposite side of the street. The street terminates at the Central Market. Kharkovites often call it Blagoveshchensky (Annunciation) Market or ‘Blagbaz’. Before the 19th century it was a swampy meadow on the bank of the Lopan River. In the mid-19th century, Suzdalsky Bazaar was built near the Annunciation Cathedral, and the wholesales enterprises of the city moved here. This was also the site for the Holy Shroud and Epiphany Fairs. Initially, it was possible to trade only in winter when the swamp was frozen. Gradually, the square was developed: in 1909 a tram line was laid there, and in 1912–1914 a covered market was built according to the design by architect I. Zagoskin (33, Engels St.). It is one of the best constructions of the modern era which cost the city about half a million roubles.


Справка медотвод купить москва

справка медотвод купить москва

cpravkamir.com

отзывы о реабилитационных центрах для зависимых

svoboda-nko.ru